Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Avalon: modular, room to expand

Inside it looks modular, with room to expand to a fourth ASIC unit.  Xbox controller shown for size reference.  PSU is Antec, no other visible labels on the PSU.

Some custom controller boards visible under the wrapped cables, e.g. "PDU v1.2 by ngzhang"

No wifi antenna included.  No paperwork or instructions.  Power cable is for Chinese "I-SHENG" power outlets, not American.  Easy oversights if someone is rushing to ship it, I suppose :)

One hopes the PSU is auto-switching.




9 comments:

  1. How do you feel about their customer service Jeff? Even if you do have a privileged relationship with Avalon, as an average consumer I'm extremely hesitant to do business with them. The complete lack of shipping confirmation/instructions/customer support/purchase protection leaves me leaning heavily towards BFL, even if I do get it months later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is definitly a large difference in company culture between how Avalon handled their communication and how BFL did. I would never ever order from a company as arogant as BFL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What did you find most insulting?

      Delete
    2. Josh's behaviour. Seriously, in this case I'll let my money do the talking and my money is not going to BFL, no matter what kind of product they release

      Delete
  3. I'll be surprised if it does what it says on the tin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it work or is it just an ugly space heater???

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah, i see that the chinese know their business well. the tightly packed units leaving a glaring empty spot on one side of the case.

    i wonder what goes there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First sentence:

      "Inside it looks modular, with room to expand to a fourth ASIC unit."

      ...so I think that's what the empty space is for. Once they have to start dropping the price of the unit they will release an add-on that you can put in there to make up revenue.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete